Check here for updates from our Leadership Team!
Rehoboth Reporter - 3/19/2020
Save Our Schools, the advocacy group for the Dighton-Rehoboth Regional School District, announced their endorsements of Anthony Arrigo and Ellen Corvi on their Facebook page.
Arrigo is running for another term on the Dighton-Rehoboth Regional School Committee. Corvi is a political newcomer. The other candidates are incumbent Richard Barrett and Aaron Morse. There are 2 open seats. The town election is April 7.
The press release said Arrigo and Corvi “clearly outline a positive, process-oriented approach toward rebuilding the district. As is noted in other recommendations for them, both candidates have extensive experience in education as educators themselves and are committed to our schools and our students.”
“While he would present himself as a refugee from the high taxes of Rhode Island, a better analogy might be one of a carpetbagger, here to take advantage of the low taxes and strong education he currently enjoys,” SOS said about Morse.
SOS said Barrett’s tenure “has been marked by controversy and missed votes.”
“In addition, neither of these candidates have children in the school district,” according to SOS. “Mr. Morse does have young children, but it was his family's decision to have them homeschooled. So, in more clear terms, what commitment do either of these men have towards public education?”
Herald News - 7/29/2019
DIGHTON — “Pro-school” advocates in the Dighton-Rehoboth Regional School District community say they want to see this year’s budget finally approved at a “tent meeting” — the first-ever in D-R history.
Members of the political action committee Save Our Schools say that this is the closest the district has ever come to a school year without an approved budget — due to Rehoboth’s roughly $559,000 funding deficit — and as a result, students could go without sports and extracurriculars for the year.
With Rehoboth residents having approved a Proposition 2 ½ override last year to meet the town’s funding deficit, Save Our Schools members say that in order to save after-school activities this year, the district cannot wait for another override.
“If this budget doesn’t get passed at the tent meeting, we don’t know how we’ll get sports and extracurriculars back. Those ‘coming of age’ things won’t be happening for our kids because of adults failing,” said Jessie Beerman, a Dighton resident whose three children attend D-R schools.
Beerman is also a teacher in Foxborough and is the president of D-R’s Special Education Parent Advisory Council, representing parents of children in the district with special needs.
WHDH - 7/18/2019
DIGHTON, MASS. (WHDH) - Parents, students, and coaches say they are not happy after the Dighton-Rehoboth School Committee voted to ax all extracurricular activities for the upcoming school year.
Sports, music, clubs and even the prom have all been canceled due to lack of funding. School Committee Chair Katherine Cooper said it was a tough decision but, either the activities or nearly three dozen teachers had to go.
“The kids are very upset. They are very concerned, ” head football coach Dave Moura said. ” They are worried that they are going to start the school year off with no sports.”
Christopher Hoskins, co-coordinator for the Save Our Schools organization said, “There’s no prom advisor, there’s no spirit week advisor. We bring in thousands of canned goods to the Rehoboth food pantry every year at our spirit week can drive.”
Voters in Dighton approved extra funding for the schools but voters in the larger town of Rehoboth have not.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.